Rosemary Mercedes, Pace University
212-346-1637, Cell: 914-424-3845
Margaret Tatich, The Haworth Press
607-722-5857, ext. 321
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – INVITATION TO ATTEND
BOOK LAUNCH “ON THE GROUND AFTER SEPTEMBER 11”
WHO: The editors and authors of On the Ground after September 11: Mental Health Responses and Practical Knowledge Gained being published by The Haworth Press – Yael Danieli, PhD, Chief Editor
WHEN: Friday, September 9, 2005
1 – 5 p.m.
WHERE: Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts at Pace University’s downtown campus, Spruce St. between Park Row and Gold Sts (across from City Hall)
The program will open with a brief commemorative performance by acclaimed violinist Timothy Fain. Authors selected from the books 108 contributors will briefly present distilled lessons they have learned during the four years sine 9/11. The contributors provide a range of perspectives – from policymakers to counselors, social workers and students. An open dialogue among all present will follow. Guest speakers include:
• Ambassador Javier Ruperez, Executive Director of the United Nations Counter Terrorism Directorate
• Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney
• Dr. Lloyd I. Sederer, New York City Executive Deputy Commissioner for Mental Hygiene
• Ken Curtin, Federal Emergency Management Agency Voluntary Agency Liaison
• Mary Fetchet, Mother of Brad Fetchet, 24, who dies in Tower 2 of the World Trade Center, and Founding Director and President of Voices of September 11th
After 9/11 Pace University played a central role in counseling not just for the Pace University community but for emergency respondents and many people in Lower Manhattan. Its Counseling Center provided training and research to people working with traumatized groups. Pace’s Center for Downtown New York (CDNY) has been a catalyst for numerous conferences on dealing with terrorism and rebuilding Lower Manhattan.
The event is Co Sponsored by the Pace University Counseling Center.
The event is open to media with press credentials, members of the Pace University community and individuals who RSVP in advance to YAELD@aol.com or (212)737-8524. Media admission by press card (strictly enforced).